Saturday 1 October 2011

Back on it - twice shy?


I am sorry it has been 3 weeks since my last confession entry. It turns out I couldn't even figure out which username/account I was using for this blog so that just cost me an hour of time. It looks like I've somehow amassed 3 or maybe 4 google related accounts, which is either a result of my utter stupidity or a confusing product portfolio and interface. I'll leave you to judge. Ultimately the lack of entries is my own fault - note to director 'must try harder'.

3 weeks is a long time and we have made some fantastic progress. I've attached a 3D model of the set produced by mentor Nigel Machin. It reminds me of Scooby Doo and haunted mansions with a glam modern feel to it. In 45 minutes I am meeting Nigel and a dedicated group of volunteers to paint the various flats and floor that will make the set. Set building and painting etc like DIY is not a task I relish and neither am I good at, but as director the show is my vision and as the leader I am more than happy to roll my sleeves up and get mucky. The next photo you see will likely be of various set bits. I'm very thankful to Nigel for all his work because not only does the model look great, but it practically helps the actors and I visualize the space and the production team have discussions about lighting and other key elements.

Whilst my blogging has had a rest the show blocking and prop preparation certainly hasn't. There are already looking like some incredible performances by the principals. About 2 weeks ago I started using the word 'melodrama' more readily and very quickly Ed and Justine had turned Zac and Bella into a pair of likeable and believable (despite being melodramatic) leads. Bella pulls the most beautifully chosen faces throughout. I plan to big everyone up with some public notes nearer the show so each actors strengths are really praised and re-enforced.

With 6 rehearsals before the technical rehearsal tensions will start to rise and some imperfections and expectations will get left behind. That is theatre. Tomorrow I shall be focussed on ensuring the end of the show is cohesive and has pace. It is currently slow and all over the place with a chorus who don't have a clue what is happening. All this is completely my responsibility and within a couple of hours we'll have it easily fixed. I simply hope that the momentum is now building for regular blogs and most importantly an incredible show that will sell out. Lets hope that this second bite at Once Bitten is now met with shyness. Sales rely on everyones enthusiasm and energy to push it. So in the words of the title track Once Bitten 'once bitten, twice shy, three times is lucky, fourth time feeling so alive'. I feel very much alive and packed with hard work, talent and some luck this third run of Once Bitten will no doubt be a huge success.

No comments:

Post a Comment